“The enchanted day is only enchanted if we ourselves believe that anything is possible.” ― Mark O’Brien
Some call it magic, allure, seduction or charm…
I prefer to call it enchantment.
And it runs through the veins of each moment. From the smile of a stranger to the wind brushing your face, it’s as if the world is begging you to notice its charm. It’s what we’re all after – to have our breath taken away, to feel passion and to see possibility.
Yet, most people are “too busy” to see it.
Too caught up in the humdrum of life, to even see the wonder that is happening all around us.
If I’ve learned anything, it’s that it’s up to each individual to be enchanted.
One must ruthlessly look for it, seek it out and notice the wonder of your life.
And I have found that enchantment comes in many forms.
For years, I lived like most women – on the “busy” train of running here and there, reacting to life instead of creating it.
At the end of the day, I’d lie in my bed asking,
“When will that day come when I can enjoy my life?”
The truth is that I was living a mediocre life, following the masses of people who lived lives of quiet desperation, all while ignoring the enchantment of life.
I was waiting around for something to change on its own. Just waiting.
Then, I became the curator of my own life.
Luckily, that day came for me when I decided to make the change. I didn’t want my life to be a series of checked-off to do lists and spreadsheets. (I’m sure that my 90-year old self would yawn at that thought.)
I began to look at the opportunities around me to create moments of absolute awe and ecstasy.
I made a conscious choice to fill each day with a little glamour and charm.
If you desire to create more enchantment in your life, here are some ways that might be helpful to you :
These are things that I added into my life, and I still do today to remain Enchanted on a daily basis…
- Become fascinated. This is one of my secret paths to enchantment. When working with private clients and in my Slim, Chic and Savvy program, I teach women the art of fascination to create the bodies and lives of their dreams. Here’s how it works: instead of judging, being frustrated or becoming overwhelmed about a certain situation (which, by the way, only keeps you stuck in what you don’t want), choose to be fascinated about what’s going on. When you’re enchanted, you can see more clearly what’s happening and discover solutions to issues that would otherwise keep you stuck. You become the magician of your own life.
- Place a vase of fresh flowers in your home. Monet declared, “I must have flowers, always, and always! Flowers are nature’s Chanel, and to bring them into your home adds a layer of beauty and allure. Simply one look at a beautiful flower can shift your energy.
- Find the perfect colored lipstick. Adding a pop of color to your lips is like adding a lustrous color to your bedroom wall. It creates a feeling of seduction and allure. Not only is lipstick fun, it’s a way to express yourself with color, to pay attention to the details of your life and to be enchanting.
- Take a walk in the woods. Enchantment need not cost a thing. It’s right outside your door, and walking through a forest of trees can make a girl feel like Alice in Wonderland.
- Burn a decadent scented candle. When I smell my Japanese Quince candle burning, I feel luxurious. Taking the time to light a candle is a reverent activity as well as way to add a sensual fragrance to your environment.
- Look at everything with wonder and awe. I began to practice this years ago, and it really does add a depth of magic to your life, from being curious about why your child is having a meltdown to staring at a glass of wine and wondering what had to happen to get it from a vineyard to your table. Life is a wondrous affair!
- Dress up. When I walk down the streets of Paris, it feels like a movie. The women and men take great pride in their self-presentation. But, it goes much deeper than that. When you take the time to put thought into how you’re showing up in the world, you’re choosing enchantment as a way of life.
- Afternoon Tea. Rituals are part of a beautiful and well-lived life, and afternoon tea is one of my favorites. Taking a break in the afternoon to thoughtfully prepare a cup of tea is a way to slow life down and honor your day. It’s such a simple act. Yet, one that adds charm to an ordinary day.
- Star gaze and make a wish. Summer nights, open skies and shining stars are an invitation for us to ponder the wonderment of life. At least once a week, go outside, stare up at the stars and make a wish. I’ve been doing this for years, and many of those wishes have come true.
- Mesmerize with Melodies. I think one of the greatest tools for creating enchantment in your life is music. A song may enrapture you and take your mind to beautiful places. Music can be used to elicit a certain mood or feeling. How do you want to feel? Allow music to help get you there. Some of my favorite Pandora stations for creating enchantment in my day are: Exotica/Lounge, Boa Sorte, Edith Piaf, Gypsy Kings and Hotel Costes.
- Host a Dream Party. Too many people like to get together and talk about their problems, but to live an enchanted life requires that you focus on your dreams, desires and possibility. One of the best ways to do this is to host a dream party where people are asked to leave their problems at the door and for a few hours, only indulge in their dreams and desires. Not only do you get to learn a lot about people when they open up about what they really want, you also will create a memorable evening for those who rarely dream.
You have the opportunity to create Enchantment in a seemingly ordinary day.
It starts from within – from seeing the beauty and mystery of life – and all that spills into the physical world – from what you surround yourself with to how you communicate with people.
Yes, we all have our day to day lives, filled with and endless stream of activity and items….
…work, housework, homework, carpool, PTO meetings, board meetings, deadlines, agendas, spilled milk, dog poop, sick kids, clients, bills, taxes and all the other real stuff. (…fill in the blank, right?)
I choose enchantment as a way of life.
Am I living in a fantasy-world?
I know that some people think so.
However, I believe that I am just mixing a little sparkle with a sense of wonder to see what I can create.
Now it’s your turn….
How do YOU create enchantment in your day?
Please take a moment to share your thoughts with the community in the comments below. I can’t wait to read them.
Enchanted and Amazed,
P.S. Are you coming to my French Kiss Life LIVE Soirée? Click the image below for more info.